Thursday, June 30, 2011

Escapism

I'm an escapist. I love to get lost somewhere, whether it's in a book, movie or video game. Most times, I'm lost in one of those, or sometimes in a fantasy in my head. (I'm assuming that I'm not the only one who has "created" a movie/book/what-if scenarios in their head. Please tell me I'm not.) Sometimes, I need to physically escape, usually meaning I need to just get out of my house and get lost somewhere else. One of my favourite places to escape is the bookstore.

While I'm at Chapters, I can browse around forever, just looking at various books. I don't even have to buy anything. I can imagine in which circumstances I'll need to use various travel books, wonder if future students will like some of these children's books, look through the comedy and picture books for a laugh. I can grab a coffee at the included Starbucks. Personally, in terms of reading, I like a good fiction and recently found Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance. The names are just as they seem. However, it's hard to find which books in the romance are actually the paranormal ones I like unless I sit and go through them. (Here's a plug: if you like a romance about a strong, smart, independent woman meeting a strange man with ties to an ancient race of Celtic Fairies where there may or may not be prophecies, mystical happenings and maybe time travel, check out Karen Marie Moning's books. I love her. Those may or may not depends on which of the books you read, but yeah, the Tuatha De Danann feature quite prominently.)

Like most escapes, one must return and I have to turn off my game or return home. It doesn't matter how many things I kill or how many places my book browsing takes me, my problems are still there, waiting for me.

I can temporarily get out of them. I can watch funny videos, read some Cyanide and Happiness comics (very dark humour, it's not for everyone!) and laugh. But after those brief moments, it's gone again. I can't stay happy. Not right now anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment