Friday, June 17, 2011

Notes from work II: Depression

I had a few more thoughts at work. This is what I wrote.

Depression is a physical illness. Those who disagree have never suffered. Depression is not laziness. The reason why people who have depression don't do a lot of activity is because the physical energy is not there. There are days when getting out of bed takes a lot of energy. There are other physical symptoms as well, mostly various aches and pains in places like the stomach or head. Heavy limbs are also common for me, particularly in the arms. Appetite is another issues. It's either non-existent or too much. Same for sleep. In the past number of years, I've had varying combinations of sleeping and eating schedules.

Nevermind the emotional side, but depression does cause physical pain, as I have mentioned above. There are more symptoms, I just haven't felt it. So imagine if this was you: you can't eat, you can't sleep, you can't even move off the couch because there is no energy to do so. Your arms feel like they're covered in lead. Wouldn't you see a doctor? Yeah, you probably would.

Like I said, depression is a physical illness. That's not to discount the emotional aspect, but the physical components are important too. So if someone is depressed and lying around, don't accuse them of being lazy or tell them to snap out of it. It won't work. Instead, talk with them, help them. Don't yell. It won't work. It is an illness, just like anything else.

If you don't believe me, ask a friend who has suffered.

If you're feeling these symptoms, see a doctor.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! Yes, the emotional aspects are bad enough, but so often the physical components are overlooked even when they make day to day life unbearable.

    ReplyDelete